Call 24/7 (405) 232-1985
What Are Your Legal Options After Being Hit By a Drunk Driver?

Drunk driving accidents are some of the most damaging, emotionally devastating automobile accidents that there are. After you’ve been struck by a drunk driver, it can be hard to know how to move forward, especially if you’ve suffered serious physical injuries that have limited your ability to work and have left you with a pile of medical bills to pay.

Deciding what to do after a drunk driving accident depends on having the right information, which makes it vital to examine all the facts before making any decisions. Learn about what to do after you’ve been hit by a drunk driver, including hiring an Oklahoma City car accident attorney to represent your interests.

Never Take a Settlement Too Quickly

In drunk driving accidents, it’s likely that the impaired driver’s insurance company will want to settle the case as quickly as possible in an effort to limit their liability and overall payment amount. Because of this, it’s important that you never accept a settlement too quickly. The insurance company will be relying on your fragile emotional state to influence you into taking a settlement that is less than you deserve.

Any settlement that you’re offered should be examined very closely by an Oklahoma city car accident attorney so that you’re sure you’re getting the compensation level that you need to fully recover from your wreck.

Filing a Civil Claim after Being Hit by a Drunk Driver

A factor that makes drunk driving accidents different from other car accidents is that drunk driving cases will always result in a criminal trial. While a criminal trial is an important part of receiving justice in your case, it will not result in monetary compensation. In order to get the funding you need to support yourself after you’ve been struck by a drunk driver, you must file a civil claim in addition to any pending criminal charges.

Only through a civil trial and decision will you be able to secure the payments that you deserve after a drunk driving accident.

Laws About Over Serving

In some drunk driving accident cases, it’s possible that the at-fault driver does not have any insurance, making it difficult for you to win the compensation you need. In these cases, you may be able to file a suit against the bar or restaurant that over-served the drunk driver.

Many states have what are known as “dram” laws, which hold businesses accountable that continue to serve alcohol to visibly drunk patrons. Although it can be difficult to prove that a private business holds some responsibility in your drunk driving case, it may be your only option if the drunk driver does not have insurance coverage or other resources.

Talk with an Oklahoma City Car Accident Attorney

If you’ve been involved in a drunk driving accident, then you may be struggling to move on with your life. If you need help getting compensation after you’ve been struck by a drunk driver, then you need to partner with an Oklahoma City car accident attorney from the Parrish DeVaughn Law Firm.

Our experienced and compassionate legal team can advise you on the right legal course to take after you’ve been hit by a drunk driver so that you can move on with your life. Speak with one of our representatives today to learn more about how we can help you.