The financial difficulties after a crash are two-fold. First, you’re facing big medical bills for everything from the ambulance ride to the hospital and overnight stays, to prescription drugs and physical rehabilitation costs long after you’ve left the hospital. Second, your injuries may be severe enough to make you temporarily or permanently disabled—and that means no paychecks.
When you aren’t earning the money you and your loved ones depend on, you may struggle to keep up with your daily living expenses, let alone your medical bills. Many victims count on getting settlements from the insurance company to pay for some or all of their crash-related expenses, but compensation claims take time to build, process, and finalize. In the meantime, bills continue to pile up.
At Parrish DeVaughn Injury Lawyers, we’re committed to building claims that give victims the money they deserve as quickly as possible. But the process is often held up by uncooperative insurance companies. That can leave victims feeling uneasy about how to handle medical bills. Thankfully, there are several options you can take advantage of while you wait for your claim to settle.
Keep These Resources in Mind While We Work Hard on Your Claim
If money is tight after an auto accident and you aren’t in position to pay for your medical bills, these options can help you stay afloat while you’re waiting for your compensation check:
- Your health insurance coverage—Health insurance is designed to pay for all type of medical bills, whether they’re incurred due to illnesses or injuries. Be sure to give the hospital and other healthcare facilities your insurance information as soon as possible to ensure you aren’t personally billed.
- Medicare and Medicaid coverage—If you’re enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid, you can use that coverage to pay for some of your medical bills after a crash. However, it’s important to note that you may have to reimburse your coverage if you receive a settlement check after your claim finalizes.
- Subrogation—Typically, auto accident claims are paid by the at-fault drivers’ insurance. But if your own auto insurance company views your claim as a sure thing, it may pay for your bills upfront with the expectation that it will be reimbursed by your settlement check.
- Personal injury supplemental coverage—Your own auto insurance may pay for some or all of your expenses if you purchased supplemental coverage, such as med pay or personal injury protection. These policies pay out regardless of who was at fault, but their payment caps are often relatively low compared to the total costs victims incur.
- Charities and online fundraisers—Many charities are dedicated to helping victims pay for their medical bills if they’re unable to afford them on their own. In addition, many people are utilizing online fundraising services such as GoFundMe to crowdsource money after serious accidents and injuries.
- Payment plans and renegotiated bills—The total sum you see on your medical bills isn’t necessarily what you’ll have to pay. Many hospitals are flexible and will offer reduced prices or payment plans for victims who can’t afford to pay in full.
With all these options available, it can be overwhelming to decide what’s right for you until your claim finalizes. At Parrish DeVaughn, our Oklahoma auto accident lawyers have many years of experience helping injured victims get the money they deserve after crashes that weren’t their fault, and that includes helping them make the right post-accident decisions for themselves and their loved ones.
We’re Dedicated to Getting Our Clients the Money They Deserve
At our law firm, we believe that negligent drivers should be held accountable for the accidents and injuries they cause, and that innocent victims shouldn’t have to pay for their own crash-related expenses. We know that the legal system isn’t always timely and that insurance companies often drag out compensation claims, and that means many victims have no choice but to seek alternative options while we build their claims.
However, our dedication, attention to detail, knowledge, experience, and never-give-up attitude are all part of why our clients are so satisfied with the representation they received from our law firm. When you contact us, we’ll go to work right away to make sure you get paid fairly and on time. We know the tricks insurance companies use to delay, reduce, or deny payments, and we stay one step ahead from day we take your case.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to put our experience to work for you.